Friday, April 15, 2016

Day 15 - Galway

Today was a rest day for walking. We shopped at Galway City Centre, which is a long promenade of shops, so we still managed to get in our 10,000 steps and then some. I only have a few pics since you don't really want to see pictures of us shopping. 

County flags

Walkway of shops and pubs 

We ordered Irish Stew for lunch. The stew is what's in the middle and the sides are all around, so potatoes 4 ways and cabbage. The stew was delicious!!!

Afterwards we stopped off for 99's, which is obviously a vanilla cone with a "flake" in it. I bought Flakes at the euro store to take home to all the grandkids. 

Since its a short blog day, I thought I would take the opportunity to do a sales pitch for the shoes I've been wearing. For years I've suffered with burning pain at the base of the second and third toes on my right foot. Even with really good shoes and inserts, I could only walk about two miles before the burning started and then became unbearable. Jo Anne told me about foot tech in Lubbock and I really went in there to see about some different orthotics. When I told him what the problem was, he asked if I had tried Altra shoes. They are zero drop technology. I told him I had worn Earth shoes (negative heel) for years until they quit making them. He convinced me to try a pair and they were on sale for half price, so why not? 


Best thing I ever did. I wore them around to break them in and see if they were going to help. They don't just help, it's eliminated the pain. I quickly began looking for a waterproof pair knowing we would be in all kinds of wet, muddy situations over here and found a pair on sale online. 

Oh my goodness, I have walked over 14 miles in a single day, over some pretty rough terrain, on this trip and have not had one twinge of pain in my feet. I can't say enough good things about them. They aren't very cute because they have boxy toe beds, which is one of the things that helps the problem, but who cares if the pain is gone! They've been covered in water and mud and sheep poop, but my feet stayed warm and dry. That's my sales pitch for the day!

Here's a pic of the B&B we've been staying in the last two nights. One more night here then off to Dublin.


Today's stats: 6.24 miles and 14,729 steps


1 comment: