Monday, April 4, 2016

Day 4 - Final Day of the Cotswold Walk

Last night was not a good night's sleep for either of us. Beds were not good and the inn was noisy. I brushed my hand against some foliage yesterday morning and immediately had a reaction. It started burning like fire, itching, turning red and swelling. Fortunately I had some hydrocortisone anti-itch cream in my first aid kit and put it on right away. It helped but it is still tingling and a little bit swollen this morning.

We were right across from the butcher and he was putting his meat in the window when we got up.

Family butcher in Winchcombe 

The White Hart Inn. I don't recommend the lodging but the food was great!

Eggs florentine for breakfast

This picture is for Randy Butler. He loves this stuff.

Starting off the last day of the cotswold walk. We still have our hair scraped back. Of course it rained all night and the forecast is for rain all day; however, it is not raining right now so we are happy!

The start of today's walk takes us right through a quiet lane under arched trees. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me, bless His Holy name."
 Psalms 103:1

This place is called Junipers. I bet you didn't know you had a place in England, did you Juniper?

We are about to head up over the hill in the distance. 


If you look in the background of this pic you can see the town where we started out this morning. 

It's getting further away and we keep climbing higher and higher.

And higher still.

You can see drops of rain on this bush from the night but it still hasn't started raining today, and we are extremely grateful.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

And the town is further still.

I did, I did, I did make it up that hill.

You're probably tired of looking at all this scenery but it is just so smazing!

Beautiful trail!

This is Bela Knap, over 5500 years old and constructed by prehistoric people (neolithic) to bury their dead. We thought it looked like a little hobbit house. 

It's my arm party! 10,000 steps already!

A video so you can hear the sound of the running water. 

the trail going up the hillside

More falling water  

Just in case you think there is nothing but sheep here.

Postslip Hall, just kind of out in the middle of nowhere. 

We sat down to eat a protein bar at our halfway point. Look at that sunshine!

Golf course at the top of Cleve Common, after a 1,000' climb. Whew!!!

A bench cut from a tree trunk for the weary walkers, not that we took advantage.

We started seeing the city of Cheltenham hours before we actually got there.
It's not enough that we had to climb one mountain today but we had to climb two? Really?

"For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is His mercy toward them that fear Him."
Psalms 103:11

We've made it the entire day without rain but it is coming and we are trying to beat it. "I would hasten to my place of refuge from the stormy wind and tempest." Psalms 55:8


At the end of the trail, right before we got to town, we stopped for tea at a little house. She had beautiful free range chickens. 

Almost made it. Had rain the last 15 minutes of our walk.

Entrance to our Inn for the night. 

Detmore House

Our room

And bathroom

And view from our window. 

The hostess was kind enough to offer us a ride into town for dinner. We had fish and chips again. Our first and last meal in England. 

And of course we topped it off with sticky toffee pudding. 

This is the Langton Pub where we had dinner. 

We walked back to the Inn. What's another mile and a half after walking 12 1/2 today anyway???

Total mileage today: 15.53, 38,453 steps and 7 hours.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yeah Mom thats my Summer home...lol..I wish!!!! It is so beautiful there! Glad y'all are having fun adventures and are doing well..

    ReplyDelete